Women’s Backcountry Ski Iceland 2021
Location - Iceland
April 11, 2021 - April 17, 2021
Backcountry Skiing in Iceland
Dreaming of skiing Iceland’s fabled terrain? We’ll hike and ski with experienced guides, retreating to our Icelandic home each night.
The journey starts in Akureyri with a shuttle drive to Dalvik. For the next week, we’ll hike and ski long spring days of Northern Iceland. Enjoy dramatic ocean views while skiing right above the fjords. Our highly experienced guides will share their knowledge and lead us through open slopes, ridgelines, and couloirs. If weather permits, take advantage of a heli bump! We’re proud of our high quality trips, guides, and clients. Just ask our return clients. References available upon request. Hope you can join us!
Duration: 7 Days
Activity Level: High
Required Skill Level: You must be comfortable descending off-piste black terrain. Your skiing doesn’t have to look pretty, but you need to be able to ski and ride in control and avoid obstacles on the descent. You must be able to hike several miles, at elevations above 3000ft, and can spend time outside in inclement weather. If you are newer to uphill travel, that is okay! As long as you are good at downhill, we can teach you a lot about uphill travel under the mentorship of our guides. If you are brand new to the uphill component of backcountry skiing, we recommending taking one of a Beginner Backcountry Tours to prep, make sure your equipment fits you and works well before heading to Iceland.
Iceland Trip Details
We’ll pick you up at the airport in Akureyri, Iceland (AEY) this afternoon. Go for a warm up ski at the local ski hill. Then we’ll head to our Icelandic home for the week! Enjoy geothermic hot tubs with a view of the fjord. Toast to a great week of backcountry skiing in Iceland with our group.
Enjoy breakfast & coffee, and head out for an all day ski tour. Explore open faces, bowls, ridge lines, and couloirs. Progress in your backcountry ski ability through the week, learning new skills and gain confidence in steeper terrain.
Ski Iceland’s majestic terrain all day, rest, eat well, hot tub, relax, have fun, socialize, repeat all week! If the weather permits, opt to add a heli bump to access deeper backcountry terrain.
Shuttle back to Akureyri Airport at 9am.
What to Expect
- 6 Days Guided Backcountry Skiing in Iceland
- Dramatic terrain, a mix of open bowls, summit ridges, and couloirs
- Striking ocean views
- Professional and experienced ski guides
- Our lead guide is very likely to be Al Mandell, AIARE Course Leader. Al is a wonderful guide who is very much a part of the Backcountry Babes family, and has been leading trips in Iceland for over 10 years.
- Steep skiing instruction, for those who like pointers
- 3500 – 5000 vertical gain each day, with options to split off early or later, depending on your energy level
- Optional add-on helicopter bump to quickly access even more terrain
- 6 nights at a beautiful Icelandic house near the fjord
- Single or Double occupancy rooms, full kitchen, laundry facilities
- Geothermic Hot Tubs for evening soaking
- Optional visit to Myvatan Hot Spring if we have a weather day
- Breakfast and Dinner included
- Van Transportation Included
- Camaraderie and fun in a supportive environment
- Have any questions? Email us at [email protected]
- Airfare to/from Akureyri, Iceland (AEY)
- Lunches. We’ll stop at a grocery store so people can pick up their favorite packed lunch ingredients
- Gratuities for guides
- Optional heli ride to access other backcountry ski terrain (about 150-200 Euro per ride)
Gear Needed for Backcountry Skiing
- Backcountry skis, ski poles, backcountry ski boots & bindings, climbing skins
- Avalanche beacon, probe, shovel
- Backcountry backpack (30-40L)
- Ski Crampons, Boot Crampons & Ice Axe (Don’t worry, we’ll teach you how to use these tools on the trip if you don’t already use them!)
- Proper outerwear, ski gear, and warm layers for spending all day outdoors in various weather conditions
- Bathing Suit for the hot tub
After we backcountry ski Iceland’s spectacular slopes we’ll return to the same house each night. Located near Dalvik, our coastal farmhouse features bedrooms with a single or double bed in each room, a kitchen, and laundry machines. Enjoy spectacular views, fresh Icelandic sea breezes and geothermic hot tubs for nightly soaking.
FLY: to Akureyri airport, Iceland. (AEY) This is a short 50 minute flight from Reykjavik (RKV)
DRIVE: Drive from Reykjavik to Akureyri. It’s about a 5 hour drive North on the famous “Ring Road.” One-way car rentals available at the airport. It’s an adventure drive: isolated, but beautiful!
“Definitely go with Backcountry Babes, the instructors are top notch, the environment is very inclusive, and you’ll meet lots of really rad women that could be future backcountry buddies.”Melinda Z.
“I can’t even describe the emotions I feel thinking back to the two backcounty ski hut trips I’ve done in Canada with Backcountry Babes. It’s a lot of “Oh my god that was fun!”, but it was also such a confidence builder. I feel like I can hang, I’m a badass, and now I know all these incredible women that I can use as role models.”Amy H,Canada Hut Trip
“This trip was one of the most rewarding outdoor experiences I’ve ever had. Great women, fantastic guides, way too much food, and AMAZING skiing! As soon as I got home I was already signed up for next year’s trip.”Lauren S.Canada Hut Trip
“My eternal thanks to Backcountry Babes for showing me what the backcountry is all about. The March 2016 trip to Powder Creek Lodge was my first hut trip in BC. We skied the lodge’s spectacular terrain, tracking up perfect virgin fields of white and bootpacking cold couloirs when the vertical got too steep to skin. I disconnected from the world all week (!) and instead connected to 14 women who were strangers to me at the beginning and now are anything but. I left exhausted and worked and spoiled for life. Can’t wait to do it again!”Esme D.Canada Hut Trip
“I just returned from my third Backcountry Babes backcountry hut trip, and I can’t wait to go again! It’s not just about the powder, the peaks or the ability to disconnect for a whole week. It’s about these amazing women–babes who are smart, passionate, compassionate AND who know how to shred the gnar! Thanks, Backcountry Babes for the conversation on the skin track, the tips and education, the encouragement and the non-stop laughs.”Jen F.Canada Hut Trip