Tahoe Hut Trip: Frog Lake Huts
Location - Truckee, California
December 29, 2022 - January 1, 2023 January 5, 2023 - January 8, 2023
Tahoe Backcountry Hut Trip – Frog Lake Huts
Want to wake up in a backcountry hut with excellent terrain right out the door? Join us at Frog Lake Hut, for 3 nights and 4 days of backcountry skiing or splitboarding. Enjoy cozy propane stoves, electric outlets, flushing toilets in our 4 person, 1 bathroom hut! In another building we have a huge kitchen and stone fireplace for gathering. Enjoy a variety of ski terrain on the crest of the Sierra and ring in the New Year in a very special place!
Meet us at the Donner Pass Sno-park. We’ll hike in about 5 miles to our hut, you’ll need to carry your ski gear, group food and a sleeping bag. Our experienced guides will share their knowledge and lead us through open slopes, ridgelines and treed terrain depending on avy conditions and matched to our group’s ability. We offer instruction and coaching along the way so you can grow your skills with professional guidance and support from our group! We’re proud of our high quality trips, guides, and clients. Just ask our return clients. References available upon request. Hope you can join us!
Want to turn this into a hut based AIARE 1 Course? Send an email to [email protected]
- Enjoy 4 days backcountry skiing or splitboarding
- Professionally guided trip
- Relax in large, living room/kitchen space and socialize with other guests from other huts.
- Ring in the New Year together Backcountry Babes style!
Frog Lake Hut Trip Details
On Day 1, we’ll meet at the Castle Peak (Donner Summit) Sno-Park! Repack your bags to add some group food, and we’ll start our ~5mi hike into the huts! We’ll hike in a casual, steady pace and arrive at the lodge in the afternoon. Warm up by our fireplaces and get ready for a casual kick off dinner. Socialize with other guests in the common building, and retreat to our cozy 4-bunk room with it’s own bathroom each night.
Enjoy breakfast & coffee in our lodging and head out for an all day ski tour. Explore open faces, bowls, ridge lines, and chutes. Progress in your backcountry ski ability throughout the weekend. Learning new skills and gain confidence in steeper terrain. Return to our cozy, new huts, and enjoy another well deserved dinner!
Ski Donner Summit’s majestic terrain all day, rest, eat well, relax, have fun, socialize, repeat all week! Ring in the New Year with new friends!
Optional sunrise ski lap for the intrepid January 1st New Years Kick Off! Pack up personal gear, and check out of the lodge by 10am. Begin touring back, plan to arrive at our cars by afternoon.
What to Expect
- 4 Days Guided Backcountry Skiing or Splitboarding
- A mix of terrain crafted to meet the conditions and our groups preferences
- Brand New 2020 Lodges with heat and running water
- Professional and experienced ski guide
- Steep skiing instruction, for those who like pointers
- 2500 – 4000 vertical gain each day, depending on our energy level
- 3 nights at a beautiful new, off the grid backcountry hut
- max 4 clients per room, 1 bathroom
- large social room for dining and meeting other lodge guests
- Breakfast and Dinner included, casual family style meals
- Camaraderie and fun in a supportive environment
- Have any questions? Email us at [email protected]
- Alcohol – BYO, and also hike it in!
- Lunches. Bring your own favorite packable lunch foods. This has been a good lunch format for our groups in the past.
- Gratuities for guides
- Additional restaurant meal if the group feels like going out for a lunch or dinner when we return to town
Gear Needed for Backcountry Skiing
- Backcountry skis, ski poles, backcountry ski boots & bindings, climbing skins
- Avalanche beacon, probe, shovel
- Backcountry backpack (40-55L)
- Proper outerwear, ski gear, and warm layers for spending all day outdoors in various weather conditions
We will stay at the Rockwood Hut, operated by the Truckee Donner Land Trust, new in 2020! The Albert M. Rockwood Hut is a duplex with each unit sleeping 4 with a shared bath between the two units. Inside your hut, there are drying racks for boots, clothes and skins as well as ports for phone charging.
In another building, there is a commercial kitchen and big dining room / living room where we can eat and socialize with other lodge guests
FLY: to Reno Airport, and rent a car to Donner Summit.
DRIVE: To Donner Pass Sno-Park at the base of Castle Peak, 5 miles West of Truckee, CA.
“Definitely go with Backcountry Babes, the instructors are top notch, the environment is very inclusive, and you’ll meet lots of really rad women that could be future backcountry buddies.”Melinda Z.
“I can’t even describe the emotions I feel thinking back to the two backcounty ski hut trips I’ve done in Canada with Backcountry Babes. It’s a lot of “Oh my god that was fun!”, but it was also such a confidence builder. I feel like I can hang, I’m a badass, and now I know all these incredible women that I can use as role models.”Amy H,Canada Hut Trip
“This trip was one of the most rewarding outdoor experiences I’ve ever had. Great women, fantastic guides, way too much food, and AMAZING skiing! As soon as I got home I was already signed up for next year’s trip.”Lauren S.Canada Hut Trip
“My eternal thanks to Backcountry Babes for showing me what the backcountry is all about. The March 2016 trip to Powder Creek Lodge was my first hut trip in BC. We skied the lodge’s spectacular terrain, tracking up perfect virgin fields of white and bootpacking cold couloirs when the vertical got too steep to skin. I disconnected from the world all week (!) and instead connected to 14 women who were strangers to me at the beginning and now are anything but. I left exhausted and worked and spoiled for life. Can’t wait to do it again!”Esme D.Canada Hut Trip
“I just returned from my third Backcountry Babes backcountry hut trip, and I can’t wait to go again! It’s not just about the powder, the peaks or the ability to disconnect for a whole week. It’s about these amazing women–babes who are smart, passionate, compassionate AND who know how to shred the gnar! Thanks, Backcountry Babes for the conversation on the skin track, the tips and education, the encouragement and the non-stop laughs.”Jen F.Canada Hut Trip